Sunday, November 30, 2008

TWILIGHT: Movie Review

Okay, I've watched the film already - just hours ago actually. I don't usually watch movies with any horror/ vampire/ aswang theme but because this movie is generating a lot of buzz lately then I think that maybe my 150php and 2 hours inside an air-conditioned theatre would be all good. The seats inside the theatre were all filled. It was the last full show on a reserved seating basis and I watched it alone.

Okay, so here's my own take.

The movie is obviously based on a novel - a series actually and because I haven't read the novel, I would just focus on the flick itself.

CASTING

Here is my advice for those who have not seen yet the movie - don't watch it if you're looking for some hot or cute guys a la David Archuleta or Daniel Radcliffe because you'll just probably be disappointed with Edward(Pattinson). He is not there to display his body or something. Bella is just too beautiful or pretty for him which I guess contradicts the situation that Bella is the one attracted to this VAMPIRE as evidenced by the director's use of hand-held cinematography in some scenes. But it was fair, because Pattinson is obviously portraying a vampire with I guess some sort of WEIRD personality. He doesn't have to be so pa-cute. Overall, I love that the production did not incorporate any big name in the cast. It was a well balanced crew.

Grade: 3.5 / 5

SETTING:

The place was beautiful. From the forest to the beach it gives you a relaxing panoramic view of the world of the vampire. Plus the use of sort of a country-inspired town is just perfect for the movie.

Grade: 4.25 / 5

STORY

The story is so predictable obviously because of the theme - a vampire who fell in-love with her classmate and its forbidden in their coven and some villains must be put in the story so that both lovers would fight for their love. But what makes this extra special is the fact that its story is well-balanced. It doesn't have to revolve in the whole vampire thing or romance thing. They put action to it and some sort of personal struggle. It's also a plus that there is some sort of narration on Bella's point of view which I guess an obvious take on the novel. The humor was okay - something that PINOYs love in all movie I guess. The only flaw was the portrayal of the villains - it was soft for me. I wasnt even afraid of those volturis. Those guys seemed to be part of Snoop Dogg's crew or something minus the bling bling. The Cullen family was the one I loved the most on ho they treat Bella.Plus the portrayal of all the vampires as seen within their capabilities was I guess a modern way of how we shoud see them in another aspect rather than in our fantasies. The script was awesome anyway.

Grade: Romance + Vampire + Suspense = 4 / 5


EFFECTS

Okay this is a vampire movie so they need to show some power sort of a superhuman or something like standing on top a tall tree. I guess the visual effects were done really beautifully as they incorporate it within the whole stretch of the story. Reminds me of the movie 300. IL&M takes credit for it but I really love that scene when the girl was almost hit by a car and the vampire saved her. Plus the ending where they were fighting and those vampires were flying from point A to point B made Lito Lapid a joke in all his stunts.

Grade: 4 / 5

CINEMATOGRAPHY:

I've seen different kinds of film who used different approaches or style in cinematography but this film I guess mixed a lot of styles. At some point, it's like watching 300 then you shift to CLOVERFIELD then DA VINCI CODE. I mean it's like listening to a professor who's doing a lecture and instead of using the overhead projectors with all those acetates, he used POWERPOINT. Effective but very common already. The only good thing is the use of hand held cinematography to portray Bella's sort of lust or obsession for the vampire.


Grade: 3.5 / 5


SOUNDTRACK / Musical Score:

I guess this is where the movie made a great success. It's just really perfect. All the songs were so good. All the incorporations were perfect. From the use of classical to punk to rock to country style music, the score just convey the whole story as a whole. It adds to the excitement of the film.

Grade: 5 / 5

FINAL REVIEW:

THe movie would surely be a hit among us pinoys because of our liking to movie themed such as this one depicted in TWILIGHT. But I guess all the excitements that were generated by the novel turning into a movie is overrated. I still believe that whether it is a movie adapted from a novel, the novel should have nothing to do the with the film anymore once the camera starts rolling and that is I guess were this film failed. It's too obvious and predictable most of the time. But it was sweet. I have good smirk at times and watching the movie with no companion inside the theatre makes me feel like there is a vampire inside of me.

I recommend this film to those who wants to just kill some time and sort of fulfill their childhood fantasies.

It was a good movie but not a great one.

2 comments:

emiliethestrange said...

Nice review you got, very detailed and you even included the casting, setting,plot and all that. You gave me an idea the next time I'm going to write my review.

Why am I not the only one who've seen the movie that Pattison isn't a good choice as Edward? I share the same review. Mine will be posted a bit late because I set it a bit behind :D. I don't understand blogger's clocktime it's set in PST.

Hands down to the soundtrack. In fact I've already uploaded the songs in my iPod. I agree with 5/5.

:D

emiliethestrange said...

fixed the settings already. thanks. i can be ignorant sometimes hahaha.